Friday, March 5, 2010

Treat Deal: Oreo Truffles

Remember all that cream cheese I stocked up on at Albertsons? I had plans to make Oreo Truffles for Valentines day but didn't get to it. Luckily the date on my cream cheese is not past the "besy by" date.

This recipe came from my cousin Lauren who was sworn to secrecy by her old college roommate that she wouldn't share the recipe. It took a few years but I finally got the recipe from her (she got permission to share). It is actually fairly simple. Too bad I didn't just figure it out on my own years ago!

INGREDIENTS:
1 package of Oreos
1 8 oz. Cream Cheese
Chocolate Chips (I like semi-sweet)
All of these items were purchased with coupons. Yeah!

DIRECTIONS:
-Let the cream cheese soften.
-Crush the oreo in a food processor or mash them in a ziploc bag.
-Mix the crumbs with the cream cheese. Refrigerate for a while if they are too soft to roll into balls.
-Once you have balls formed melt your chocolate chips in the mircowave. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir, repeat, until chocolate is melted.
-Dip balls in melted chocolate and place on wax paper. Put them in the fridge to harden.
-Store in the freezer. (This is the way I like to eat them, right from the freezer.)

I got some Peanut Butter Oreos too and when I try them out I will let you know how they turn out. I am going to use peanut butter mixed with powdered sugar instead of cream cheese. Picture to come.

1 comment:

21st Century Homemaker said...

I remember you made these one girls night sooooo good!! Thanks for the recipe!