Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Meal Deals: Poppy Seed Chicken

If you are like me, you are always looking for new, simple dinner recipes. This week you can get Ritz crackers for $0.79 and Darigold sour cream for $0.29 at Albertsons. See this post to find out how. I am using both those items along with other items I have stocked up on during sales. I thought I would share what we are having for dinner at my house...

Tonight we are having Poppy Seed Chicken with rice and broccoli

INGREDIENTS:
1 can of cream of chicken soup from an earlier sale (maybe $0.50, I can't remember?)
1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts purchased during the 1.79 or 1.88/lb. sale ($2.82)
1 cup sour cream (less than 1 container 0.20)
1 sleeve Ritz crackers (1/4 of package so 0.20)
1 teaspoon poppy seeds (not sure, I think you can buy these in the bulk section at WinCo and buy a very small amount, or just don't add them)
1/3 cup butter, melted (0.40-ish)

Total cost: $4.12 (I buy rice in bulk and broccoli is relatively inexpensive so I did not add them into my cost.) And we always have leftovers!

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Place the chicken into a 9x13 inch baking dish. In a medium bowl, stir together the condensed soup and sour cream. Pour over the chicken. In a separate bowl, stir together the crushed crackers, poppy seeds and melted butter. Sprinkle over the chicken and sauce.
3. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top of the casserole is browned and the sauce is bubbly.
*To crush the crackers, put them in a gallon zip lock bag and go over them with the rolling pin.*

Recipe courtesy of my friend Megan @ Recipes from the Pickle Boat (I also borrowed her picture because I was out of poppy seeds). This has become a family favorite! Perfect timing, my timer just went off. Enjoy!

No comments: